Sunday, July 10, 2011

Replacing "We" With "Me"

We are taught that what are most important are our rights as individuals. Our god is free-enterprise, the unchecked, unregulated right to make as much as we like, even at the expense of our society and our earth. We see regulations as a threat to our individual rights to do business and make a profit.

We are urged to think of ourselves first. If I am not old, why should I pay for those on Social Security or Medicare? If I don’t have children, why should I care about education? If I’m not gay, not an illegal immigrant, not unemployed, not losing my house, not confronting an unwanted pregnancy…

And when crisis affects me, I will blame myself. I will think I am alone. I will think I have to solve my own problems. I certainly won’t blame a broken social system.
~ from 'We the People' or 'I the Person'? by Linda Wagner Schmoldt ~
Over the years, I have had more than a few people ask me: Why a blog on Philosophical Taoism? A follow-up question that is asked as well is: What does an ancient Chinese philosophy have to do with the modern world?

Schmoldt's essay highlights a prime reason why I have devoted a significant portion of the last 7 years to the study of the writings of the Taoist sages. It is the "Me First" mentality that permeates our world at the great expense of the community of "we."

Taoism stresses the interconnection of all things. If all things come from one source, then each of us is a brother and sister to everyone and everything in existence -- past, present and future. There is a tie that binds us. All of these categories, labels and barriers we erect are artificial contrivances based on our ego-driven desires.

While Philosophical Taoism stresses that each individual form possess its own true nature and must find its own path in this realm, it also underscores the symbiotic relationships that we share in common. In other words, none of us can exist as island unto ourselves. We share a common space called Mother Earth and so we must work together in harmony to insure it remains a hospitable habitat for all.

This is one of the prime reasons I rail against the current economic and political system that dominates the US and, by extension, much of the world. It is a system that endeavors to isolate each of us from everyone else and always to think of the selfish me instead of the communal we.

Such a system runs counter to the Way (i.e., the laws of nature). If nature operated in this way, life -- at least human life -- would have ended eons ago! The world today would be controlled by cockroaches and super viruses; human civilization would be a distant memory.

We have a responsibility not only to ourselves as a species but to all life forms to accentuate the existence we have been blessed with. When we degrade or oppress one life form, it degrades and oppresses the totality of life. An injury to one is an injury to all.

It is this perspective that urges me on in the writings on this blog.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your assessment wholeheartedly. And it reminded me of this:

    "What civilization is, is 6 billion people trying to make themselves happy by standing on each other's shoulders and kicking each other's teeth in. It's not a pleasant situation. And yet, you can stand back and look at this planet and see that we have the money, the power, the medical understanding, the scientific know-how, the love and the community to produce a kind of human paradise. But we are led by the least among us - the least intelligent, the least noble, the least visionary. We are led by the least among us and we do not fight back against the dehumanizing values that are handed down as control icons.

    This is something, culture is not your friend. Culture is for other people's convenience and the convenience of various institutions, churches, companies, tax collection schemes, what have you. It is not your friend. It insults you. It disempowers you. It uses and abuses you. None of us are well treated by culture.

    Yet we glorify the creative potential of the individual, the rights of the individual. We understand the felt-presence of experience is what is most important. But the culture is a perversion. It fetishizes objects, creates consumer mania, it preaches endless forms of false happiness, endless forms of false understanding in the form of squirrelly religions and silly cults. It invites people to diminish themselves and dehumanize themselves by behaving like machines - meme processors of memes passed down from Madison Avenue and Hollywood...


    ~Terrence McKenna
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYB0VW5x8fI&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.