Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dividing Line

Yesterday I drove to Long Beach and back for my biweekly counseling session. The drive itself was interesting in a way that only those who live near a coast can understand experientially. The entire drive was like a game of peekaboo with the sun and the marine layer.

A section of the trip between Bay Center and the Nemah River was kind of surreal. The sky above Highway 101 was cloaked in thick clouds and some fog. However, not more than a few hundred feet to the east, it was a bright sunny day with nary a cloud in the sky! This almost strict dividing line continued for a good 10 miles or so.

For life, in general, we don't usually get to see sharp dividing lines. One thing flows into another and it can be difficult to surmise where one thing starts and another ends.

For example, it is next too impossible to say when the exact moment changes from sunset to dusk or sunrise to morning. These are gradual occurrences that merge one into the other (think of the yin-yang symbol).

But on my drive yesterday there was a clear line of departure. I crossed it as I made an eastern turn for home. One moment I was socked in by clouds and a moment later there was nothing but a deep blue sky.

I almost stopped the car to engage in a child-like game. I had this urge to jump back-and-forth between these two "worlds" -- sort of like a youngster might do when standing on a state line. Ooh, I'm in the fog. Now I'm in the sunshine. Now I'm back in the fog. Aah, sunshine again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.