Tuesday, June 7, 2011

No Government Handouts For Me!


I found this graphic at MoveOn.org via BuzzFlash. It underscores why people like Bill Maher think that Americans, by and large, are a stupid people. I don't know about you, but it simply blows my mind that at least 1 in 4 people doesn't realize that all the services and aid listed above are government-derived!

Where do these people think this stuff comes from? God? The Tooth Fairy? Lady Gaga?

For the record, I knowingly receive a lot of aid from the various governmental entities (federal, state, county and city). I receive SSI and Medicaid due to my permanent disability of Schizotypal Personality Disorder. I receive a property tax reduction from the county and a water/sewer rate reduction from the city based on my disability. Due to our meager income, my wife and I receive Food Stamps as well as a subsidized mortgage through the USDA.

A strong and vibrant government is needed to provide many with a helping hand. Some, like me, suffer from a disability that makes gainful employment an impossibility. Others, due to a variety of situations and circumstances, need short or long-term assistance to get back on their feet.

A gutted federal budget ends up hurting the least fortunate the most.

3 comments:

  1. Have you considered writing for a publication, except for your own blog: it might be a good idea. Your rants are very entertaining, and carry with them some political punsch.

    From what I've heard, most of the taxes that people pay go back to themselves or their own familiy, like you pointed out: this can be seen in the amount of people who use social benefit programs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have few, if any, ambitions. Sounding off here is as good as anywhere else. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you could earn an income from it since your disability does not prohibit this activity that many support themselves with.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.