Monday, June 20, 2011

Line by Line - Verse 33, Line 7

He who does not fail in the requirements of his position, continues long;
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

He who stays where he is endures.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

Those who do not lose their base endure
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

If you stay true to yourself,
you will never be lost.

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
I think Ron hogan captures the sentiment from this line very well.

I know from personal experience that, when I have tried to be a person that I am not, I have lost my bearings. I caused myself great heartache as I watched my physical and mental health decline. I firmly believe this occurred because of the internal tension I generated from going against the foundations of who and what I am.

These days I still suffer from physical and psychological conditions, but because I am more true to my internal nature, I don't suffer half as much. Sure, I can bitch and moan with the best of 'em, yet I have learned to accept my life for what it is.

I am no longer lost.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.