Sunday, May 15, 2011

Up and Down

I am down in the dumps again. Several elements have converged simultaneously to drop my mood like a rock. Typical of depression, I am sleeping a lot and finding it difficult to motivate myself to do much of anything productive.

The first element that tends to torpedo my spirit is a fibromyalgia flare-up. I seem to be dealing with a doozy. It feels like every inch of real estate on my person is inflamed. To make matters worse, I am severely constipated and I have overarching fatigue. It is difficult to feel bright and chipper when you feel like molten crap.

The second element has to do with the current seasonal transition. Unlike most of the rest of the country, the southwest Washington coast is just now transitioning into spring. I never seem to do well as we move from one season to the next. Personally, I think it has a lot to do with the changes in barometric pressure.

The third element is that my one local friend -- Paul Kim who owns the local mini-mart/gas station -- had to fly back to Korea to see his dying mother. As I have written about numerous times before, I am very anti-social and don't have many friends. Paul has been my one quasi-consistent social outlet and he's been gone for the better part of 2 weeks. I miss him.

The three elements listed above usually would put me in a mild-to-moderate funk, but it is the fourth element that has pushed me over the edge. It is the Bin Laden execution. (I'm sure this surprises no one as I have written a lot posts on this topic.)

I am simply dumbfounded that so many Americans view this alleged event with such glee. While the guy may have been as despicable as advertised (or he may not have been -- we probably will never know), gunning down people we don't like, for whatever reason, flies in the face of the American ideal of innocent until PROVEN guilty.

How can we pontificate to the rest of the world that the American Way of justice and fairness is the best system on earth if we only adhere to these principles when it is convenient or serves some propaganda purpose? How can we pretend that we are morally superior when we execute unarmed suspects?

I'm sure I will snap out of these doldrums once the raging pain lessens, but it will take longer for my heart to mend. Anytime a person, group or nation employs violence supposedly to quell violence, I feel a great disturbance in "the force."

Violence, for whatever reason, only encourages more of the same.

3 comments:

  1. hello i ve just took in your latest blog,and looked at your profile,as i write this our dogs are looking to go out for a walk.
    Are we what ever we focus on?
    TAO. Can you do any chi gung to help with your ailments?
    Hope the sun shines in your life,
    soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son, who reads your blog, asked if I thought you and I would be friends if we lived near each other? I don't know but we are friends now and that works for me. We are fellow sufferers and I know, for me, there is a direct connection to pain levels and depression. Years ago a brilliant dr said to me he thought I was depressed. I told him he'd be depressed too if he had as much pain as I had.

    It is hard to explain head to toe, every joint, every muscle screaming. I do feel for you.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian,
    I'm trying to find a teacher for Tai Chi or Chi Gung in my area...not having much luck this far. :-(

    Bruce,
    If we lived close by, we could have "fun" watching Cubs vs Reds games together. You would scream at the TV every time a call went against the Reds and I'd do the same when they went against the Cubs. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.