Sunday, May 29, 2011

Tranquility Base

One of the aspects I cherish most about where I live is the tranquility of night. I just stepped out on my back deck and, in terms of this modern world, I was met with silence. About the only thing I could hear was my breath!

The silence was broken every now and again by the croaking of frogs at the pond in the ravine below my house and the breeze rustling through the leaves of the trees in the forest. In many ways, I don't even consider that a true break in the silence; it's merely a different aspect of it.

How different it is here from living in an urban or suburban area. No sirens waling at all hours of the day and night. There is very little traffic on the roads. No sounds of industry past about 5:00 p.m. No shrieks and hollers of crowds at ballparks or concerts.

My home in South Bend on the westernmost hill of town is my tranquility base.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.