Monday, May 23, 2011

Doggy Funk

I'm sure you've noticed my writing frequency has decreased significantly over the past week. I have been in a bit of a funk after the death of our little doggy, Princess. I realize that mourning a loss is natural and, little by little, it is not quite as painful as the day before.

Our surviving dog, Jasmine, has been in a funk too. Over the last 14 months, she has lost two sisters (the other being Heidi who was with us for nearly 14 years). While Della and I have been giving her extra attention -- she gets to go on rides almost every time we leave home -- she remains a bit mopey IN the house. At times, I think she walks around the property looking to see where Princess went.

Some dogs do well as the ONLY canine in the house; others definitely need a companion, a partner-in-crime, so to speak. We are of the opinion that Jaz falls in the latter category, so we have been online for the past few days looking at the adoptable dogs at the shelters in Long Beach and Astoria.

Tomorrow I am scheduled for my next counseling session in Long Beach. We have decided that we two humans plus Jaz will make a day of it and go to both shelters to look over the possible companions. If all goes well, we will return home with a new addition to our family.

Whatever dog we select certainly can't replace Princess, but Della and I feel that one of the best ways to deal with the loss of a pet is to find another one to love. There are far too many thrown away and unwanted companion animals in this world. We know we can't save all of them. The best we can do is to save a few over the course of our lifetimes.

Hopefully, we will find another to save tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.