Sunday, April 10, 2011

Why I Don't Respond

Why I Don't Respond
by Scott Bradley


Some have inquired as to why I do not respond to comments made on my posts. Trey has already addressed this, explaining that I live on a boat, off the grid, and thus do not have everyday access to the internet. When I first read comments, therefore, the post itself has usually already been archived. I am sorry about this, for I would very much like to respond to a lot of comments.

Quite frankly, there are others, however, to which I do not care to respond in any case. Some of these are just casual observations which do not invite a response. Others seem to miss the point of the post entirely and I can only imagine that this is because there is a greater desire to argue than to understand. By 'understand' I do not mean 'agree'. Disagreement and the discussion it ensues are a great way for us all to learn. And I invite any who would like to seriously discuss to e-mail me directly. I say this not only because I cannot respond on time to comments but also because, to be honest, I don't see a whole lot of value in the short little exchanges that are possible in 'comments'.

When I first wrote to Trey it was in the hope that I might be able to discuss things important to me with other like-minded people. (I can have discursive argument with most anyone of different mind anytime, and don't find it particularly edifying.) Yes, I wanted to share my drivel, as well -- something I am very thankful for the opportunity to do. But I would very much like to discuss with anyone who wishes to do so.

You can check out Scott's other miscellaneous writings here.

1 comment:

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want. We may respond...or we may not. It depends on the mood and preferences of the specific author of the post. Ta-Wan generally responds in a timely manner. Trey responds some of the time and Scott rarely replies (due to limited internet access). You can be assured that all comments are read by this blog's two administrators: Ta-Wan & Trey.