Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tao Bible - Psalm 139:8

If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
~ King James version ~

Tao is in every step.
~ possible Taoist alternative ~
Both lines point to the same thing: if the mystery of life is the foundation of who and what we are, then every thought and action is beholden, in some way, to that mystery.

(Though, I must admit, I find this biblical line fascinating. I have always understood that it is the Christian perspective that hell is to be removed from God, yet this line indicates otherwise. Interesting!)

If you're interested in reading more from this experimental series, go to the Tao Bible Index page.

2 comments:

  1. Well, this IS a Hebrew song; this verse is about God being everywhere and knowing everything; there are no secrets from God. And "hell" here (not a Dante-style inferno) is "Sheol," the abode of the dead. Although this is a new thought at this point in the Psalms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard many concepts of Christian Hell: seperation from god, or a place where his love feels like pain due to the soul's evil, or a place/state where one is incapable of love, among others.

    But yeah... God's omnipresence had many interesting consequences, which I'd get into but I've got to get to work.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.