Friday, April 15, 2011

Reality TV Killed the Soap Opera Star

When MTV went live, the first video played was Video Killed the Radio Star (see below) by The Buggles. It now seems like the next evolution has occurred as "Reality TV" has just about killed a staple of daytime television for the past 60 years: the soap opera.

It was announced yesterday that ABC has canceled the long-running soaps, All My Children and One Life to Live. That leaves only 4 daytime soap operas still airing (one each on ABC & NBC plus two on CBS).

It certainly isn't difficult to understand why. All the controversial issues once tackled by soap operas now blanket the television dial in the form of so-called Reality shows. There really isn't any new territory for the soaps to claim.

I grew up during the heyday of TV soap operas. I often watched As the World Turns (CBS) with my mother during summer vacation. My ex-wife Ann was a devoted follower of Days of Our Lives (still running on NBC). As a guy, I, of course, never let on back then that I would have allowed myself to get sucked in by the plots and characters, but there was a time for a year or two that I was a bit hooked.

If you're brave enough to admit it, what were your favorite daytime soaps?

2 comments:

  1. I don't watch them, terrible acting, though I will admit having been sucked into a few storylines. They were ridiculous, or course, but I wanted to know what happend. Mostly I'd ask my mom, rather than watch. See, my mom would probably be ruined if they canceled The Young and the Restless. She's been watching that since before I was born. I hope for her sake that it keeps running

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a time in the late '70s when I was home with a small child, unemployed, in the country and "All My Children" and "The Young and the Restless" provided a little social life. And acting like that day after day after day had to be tough, though there were a few actors--e.g., David Hasselhof-- who started careers there.

    I have no interest in reality TV -- but Korean Drama...now there's some hot stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.