Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Pushing Pills

Yesterday was a long day spent in Long Beach. I had my bi-weekly appointment with my mental health counselor (Bill) plus I went in to see the shrink (Jamie) for the first time. After a long interview with the latter, I was presented with a list of pharmaceuticals to consider that might aid me in providing better control for my anxiety and schizophrenic disorders.

I warned Jamie that I have a terrible phobia re drugs. I am always convinced that, whatever the side effects are, I will experience them tenfold!! I am sure that, in the past, I most likely have suffered from some psychosomatic symptoms in relation to taking a medication. But it is hard to tell when an averse reaction is real or psychosomatic!

I will be researching the various possibilities presented to me. They are as follows:
I certainly don't want to start on anything that is addictive and, with Medicaid up in the air, I certainly don't want to start on something that causes adverse effects if you suddenly go off it. I will, of course, scrutinize the side effects and I will try to weigh my fear of side effects versus the purported relief of certain symptoms.

If anyone reading this has any experience with any of the meds listed or other information about any or all of them, please feel free to leave it in the comments section OR you can email me directly.

The chances that I will agree to go on medication are about 1 in 4, but at least I have committed to look into it.

4 comments:

  1. psychosomatic IS real! Just like the placebo effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the 80's I took Prozac for depression. As a working single mom with 2 young children going thru a contentious divorce I had many anxieties and daily stress. Prozac gave me my life back. Don't remember any noxious side effects. Along with talk therapy it enabled me to get my mind back, to slow down and allowed me to respond to life rather than react. I take nothing now, life is good.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon,
    Alright, technically it's real, but its origin is in the mind. It is manufactured by anxiety and not an actual effect of the med at all.

    Anon,
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have taken most of the SSRI pharma you have listed and recommend Celexa, or its generic equivalent (which I prefer)based on the least side effects at various dosage levels.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.