Monday, April 11, 2011

Impressions on the "War" in Libya

Over the past month, I have watched several video reports from Libya via the mainstream media. The anchor and reporters in the field make mention of "rebels," those "forces" opposing the Libyan dictator and his military. But the images they show of these "rebels" makes them look like something I have seen depicted in American TV shows and movies as well as a few not-so-close personal encounters.

You see, the "rebels" look eerily similar to me like a bunch of American good 'ol boys in predominantly rural areas going out to raise hell on a Friday night. Around here it's usually high school upperclassmen and assorted guys a few years removed from school. Fueled by alcohol and the "nothing to do in a small town" mentality, they head up into the hills to do whatever rowdy young men do -- things like shoot at stop signs on lonely county roads.

That's what these so-called "rebels" look like to me. The videos show guys whooping and hollering from the backs of overloaded pickup trucks. They seem to fire mortars in all directions in an uncoordinated manner.

About two weeks ago on MSNBC, one of the reporters was "embedded" with one ragtag group that seemed to drive around in circles with nowhere really to go. While the camera was on them, they shouted with great bravado, but all of a sudden, they came under mortar attack from government forces.

Instead of running for cover and then getting together to decide on a counterattack, the whole group scattered in a disjointed fashion. I watched several young men drop their makeshift weapons, jump in several trucks and hightail it out of there. The look on several of their faces was one of disbelief. "Of my gosh, they are shooting at us! I could get hurt out here."

These images have led me to wonder if there truly is a "rebel" army or militia at all. The only time I hear that the rebels have "advanced" is after NATO planes have bombed the heck out of a Libyan government position. Could it be that these angry young men show up after the Libyan troops have been routed and pulled out to "claim" victory?

I guess what I'm saying is that I am wondering if these fellows are merely props to justify a war that the US, England and France want to wage.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if they started out as props, and I don't know that anyone really WANTS to fight this war, but with it volatile like it is... we had to get involved, that oil is too important.

    as for the rebels, they are leaderless. I saw clips of Geraldo Riviera (sp?) shown on the Daily Show last week, had some pretty scathing comments about the rebels. Shooting mortars in the wrong direction, undisciplined, totally incapable, etc.

    The whole "rally in the streets" thing started out great, came from the people... but if you're going to fight a war, you need leadership. Also discipline and ability/training.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.