Monday, April 18, 2011

Dear Diary

Dear Diary
by Scott Bradley


Sometimes I feel like I should begin each post with, Dear Diary. In a previous post I said, "This is about me. I have nothing else to offer. All my 'truths' are subjective." It is not without some sense of ambivalence that I inflict my personal musings upon you. Do you really care to hear this personal stuff? Would I want to hear it if I were you? I am not sure that I would; I am not really that indulgent of the 'how I feel today' kind of blabber.

Then there's the 'unspiritual' and 'non-sageous' side of it. Somehow "this is about me" doesn't square with my pre-conceived ideas of what is sageous. Aren't I supposed to be beyond 'me'? Oops, I have exposed myself here...so I might as well admit it: I want to be a sage when I grow up. But of course, wanting to be a sage is the antithesis of being one. But I diverge...

The real point of this post is to draw attention, once again, to the biographical nature of the philosophical taoist's philosophizing. This is the point I tried to make in the piece entitled Kierkegaard. We don't subscribe to a belief in Truths and creeds which exist outside of our inner experience.

If I were a sage, I would not be teaching you factual truths to apply to your life; I would be assisting you, like a midwife, to birth your own way. Of course, that's what I think I am doing now, though I am not a sage, but I know that you have the good sense to keep that in mind.

You can check out Scott's other miscellaneous writings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want. We may respond...or we may not. It depends on the mood and preferences of the specific author of the post. Ta-Wan generally responds in a timely manner. Trey responds some of the time and Scott rarely replies (due to limited internet access). You can be assured that all comments are read by this blog's two administrators: Ta-Wan & Trey.