Monday, March 14, 2011

The Trouble With Library Books

You know what I dislike the most about library books? Ya have to give them back...often before you've finished reading a particular book!! Of all the nerve. ;-)

About three weeks ago, I placed a hold on The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein. I was still finishing up another book, but since I was #2 in the queue, I figured the book wouldn't arrive at my local library for at least two weeks. Consequently, I was caught off guard when I was informed five days later that it was waiting for me to pick up. (I guess the person ahead of me in the queue canceled their hold request.)

I was still about one week away from finishing the book I was currently reading. I didn't actually start on Klein's riveting book for 10 days (about one-half of my allotted time). Though I am enjoying it immensely, I am a slow and plodding reader. The book is over 460 fact-filled pages and I am just now getting to the halfway point.

I tried to renew it, but there are more eager readers in the queue now and, when this occurs, you don't get to keep it an extra period. My only saving grace is that I ordered a copy of the book from BetterWorldBooks.com, but it probably won't arrive until this Friday, at the earliest. Arghhh!!

I'll soon begin another book in my stack and get back to this one in another 2 weeks or so. I don't like interrupting a good read in this manner, but the situation is what it is.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) my wife & I will be gallivanting around for most of the day as we travel to Astoria (tune-up for the car), Seaside (a little shopping) and Long Beach (appointment with my counselor). Since I won't be here in front of my computer most of the day, I will pre-load some posts that feature quotes from Klein's book plus a little commentary.

The snippets from this great book -- I highly recommend it -- should provide you with a lot to chew on.

1 comment:

  1. I often, even usually, have more than one book going at once. Right now I'm in the middle of 3.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.