Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Root of the Problem

Before we return to our regularly scheduled blogging topics, I decided to share two other bits of information regarding my "situation" (the second to follow this post). My continuing research has shown to me that the root cause of most of my physical and mental irregularities is the fact that I have Klinefelter's Syndrome (my 23rd chromosome should be XY, but it is XXY).

While some males with this syndrome escape many of the associated maladies, I seem to be a poster child for a good deal of the chief symptoms as well as many of the comorbid conditions. According to the website 47xxy.com, males with Klinefelter's may suffer from (the ones in green are those I have suffered/do suffer from):
  • infertility
  • incomplete masculinization; feminine, or pear shaped, body and body hair distribution
  • decreased libido
  • altered brain structure (still in the investigation process)
  • osteoporosis
  • taurodontism
  • venous disease
  • learning, emotional, and mental disorders
  • autoimmune disorders such as lupus
  • low energy
  • low self esteem
  • communication difficulties, especially with expressive language
  • frustration-based outbursts
  • motor skill issues
  • developmental delays
Other research I've read indicates that autism, anxiety disorders and schizophrenic spectrum disorder are more prevalent in males with Klinefelter's than for the general population. You go down the list and, with only one or two exceptions, you have a really good picture of me.

Of the various symptoms/conditions listed above, the one which may well cause some of you to shake your head is "communication difficulties." I am a good writer and so this ability in this medium may cause you to think otherwise. But while I do seem to have an ability to communicate through writing, I do far less well via speech and interpersonal relationships. I seem to experience a great deal of difficulty getting my point across when I talk.

Two other odd communication difficulties I have suffered from for most of my adult life -- each seems to be growing worse -- are called semantic and remote paraphasia. Both occur quite frequently when I talk or write and they sometimes appear on this blog when I don't catch them in the editing process. Wikipedia describes each this way:
  • Semantic paraphasia - The substituted word is related to the intended word. e.g. "I spent the whole day working on the television, I mean, computer."
  • Remote paraphasia - The substituted word is, at most, distantly related to the intended word. e.g. "You forgot your musketeer, I mean, umbrella."
These two forms of verbal paraphasia drive me crazy because, no matter how diligently I try to concentrate on what I am saying or writing in the moment, I can't seem to avoid them. What is even worse is that my mind is thinking the correct word, but my mouth or fingers are sending out something different.

For example, my mind may formulate, "The big black bird flew across the sky," but I will type "The big black ball flew across the yard." When I proof my text, my eyes will identify the words ball and yard, yet my mind often will interpret those words as bird and sky. So, I leave them as they are and then my blogging compatriot Baroness Radon invariably will point out my goofs in the comments section. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. And I have a compulsive sort of awareness of typos (except my own) and malapropisms...when you are ready to edit your book, please see me for copyediting.
    Proud to be your blogging compatriot...I mean it all compassionately!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.