Saturday, March 5, 2011

Line by Line - Verse 24, Line 3

(So), he who displays himself does not shine;
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

He who makes a show is not enlightened.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

Those who flaunt themselves are not clear
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

Don't call attention to yourself
if you want people to notice your work.
~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
For me, this line further underscores the previous ones. It is the pompous person who feels the need to stand on their tiptoes to try to be just a bit higher than anyone else around. It is the pompous person who must make a show or flaunt their abilities in the hopes of impressing or intimidating others.

By making the effort to prove that this sort of person has it altogether or has discovered the secret elixir of truth, they negate the very point they wish to make. And that is why I am skeptical of any self-anointed guru.

A true sage has no need to put on a show or draw attention to themselves.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

3 comments:

  1. At heart, I couldn't agree with you more. Not to long ago I was with a known teacher that speaks all over the world. This very subject came up that you are mentioning. He had a different perspective on this that I have been chewing on ever since. First of all he said that it is a heart matter or "what's the motive" that is of real importance. Then he asked me if I saw a big fat booger hanging from my nose before speaking in front of a crowd would I remove it? Would that be vanity and self-promoting if you did? Then he said that we all to some degree are marketing ourselves. The main question to ask ourselves is what is our motives? Like I said, I've been chewing on what he had to say ever since. I have not really settled on a conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No question that each of us is a marketer. It's why mom always told us "to put our best foot forward." ;-)

    Self-anointed gurus, in my opinion, take this human trait to its extreme. It's not about showing that they are one of the best the world has to offer but THE answer to all the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this may be a reason that lineage is so emphasized in certain traditions of Taoist practice. Of course, that works two ways...it's up to the student to be discerning.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.