Thursday, March 24, 2011

God and the Seven

I remember as a young lad hearing about the seven deadly sins. Established as a kind of early Christian Church doctrine, the sins were derived from passages in Proverbs (the next book I will tackle in the Tao Bible series). While the list doesn't include every particular sin that can be committed, many believe that every sin falls within the purview of one or more of the chief seven.

As I slowly work my way through the Old Testament for the aforementioned series, I have been struck again and again at how HUMAN this god is presented. In situation after situation, we're told that he doesn't approach each one as some supreme being far superior to lowly human beings -- no, he often behaves just as petulant or selfish as any human would!

So, I've decided to take a look at the conduct of the Christian God in terms of the seven deadly sins: anger, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and gluttony. Let's see how the heavenly one measures up in terms of a literal reading of the Bible.

1 comment:

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.