Thursday, February 3, 2011

On the Line

As I continue to watch the drama unfold in Cairo, I can feel the hair on my spine raise up. While I certainly have never been in the position of demanding that a dictator stand down, I HAVE been on the line. Some were picket lines in support of striking workers. Some were protest marches in defense of Latino rights or the environment. Some were rallies and vigils promoting peace and nonviolence in conjunction to an opposition to our various military efforts in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Most of these efforts were uneventful, but a few were anything but. I know what it's like to be fearful that counter demonstrators might attack the peaceful throng. I know what it's like to be scared that the police would move in to address nonviolent protesters in a not-so-peaceful manner. And I know what it's like to be anxious that any minute chaos might ensue.

It takes a lot of courage to stand against the powers that be and it takes even more courage to do so nonviolently.

So, I hope for the best for the peaceful protesters in Cairo and though out Egypt, but I fear for the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.