Friday, February 4, 2011

Line by Line - Verse 21, Lines 9-10

How know I that it is so with all the beauties of existing things?
By this (nature of the Tao).

~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

How do I know the ways of creation?
Because of this.

~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

How do I know the nature of the source?
With this

~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

How can I be so sure?
I just know.

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
If we look at these lines superficially, it might look like Lao Tzu has decided to eschew humility for smugness. Whichever way one chooses to interpret the last line, it may sound a bit defiant. I know because I know -- so there!

But when we look at Verse 21 in its entirety, we come to realize that Lao Tzu hasn't laid down any fast and rigid structures. He basically has suggested that much of the underpinnings of life is unknowable and that the best we can hope for are glimmers of understanding.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.