Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Fix Is In

Last night as the snow fell and my wife decided to stay over at work, I was tasked with spending more quality time with our animal brood. Since Della tends to commandeer the TV after 7:00 p.m., I usually leave the night duty to her. After building a hot fire in the fireplace, I sat down with my brood to watch a little mindless television.

I happened on a channel I rarely watch -- CNBC. The show is called American Greed and last night's episode centered on a man named Scott Rothstein who duped investors out of more than $1 billion as the result of an elaborate ponzi scheme.

In perusing the episode guide, this story seemed par for the course. Most of the villains appear to be hucksters who trick rich people out of a portion of their largess. There seems to be an inherent lesson of the show's aim: if you scam the wealthy, you gonna be in big doo doo.

I'm sure this program appeals to viewers because, let's face it, we like to see the "bad guys" get their comeuppance. It probably is even more appealing to the average Jane and Joe because the scam artist gets to live a life they can only dream of...until they are caught. Once caught and convicted, the perpetrator is sent off to jail and their fall causes the average proletarian to jump up and down with glee.

But there is a real danger to shows of this ilk. By focusing on individual scam artists and con men, it diverts the attention of the working class from the rampant scams perpetrated on the American populace as part of the everyday business of global capitalism. While viewers get to sneer at the Scott Rothsteins of this world, the local phone company, cable provider or Wall Street tycoon is ripping them off left and right with impunity and next to no fear that they will ever have to pay for their "crimes".

Why the lack of fear? Because our corrupt system has made these "crimes" legal.

2 comments:

  1. Well stated. Sometimes I almost wish the lights would go out for a few weeks just to snap the people out of their semi-comatose stupor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thurman, I feel the same way. Remember the Blackout of 03? People came out of their houses and apartments, there was community again! I could see the stars, and there was a break in the brainwashing. Not that it would all go well after more than a few days, as the shit really hit the fan, but still... one dreams.

    Anyways, TV is evil. I'm always a little saddened when I continually meet so-called counterculturalists or whatever, who are still wrapped up in the fictions found there. I have taped on my wall an "ad" from Adbusters Magazine, with a guy standing in a heap of broken TVs, with a baseball bat, and a caption saying "think for yourself or they will think for you."

    Or as Red Hot Chili Peppers sang: throw away your television.

    It is the number one method used by the media machine, no, the establishment, to hypnotize the public and maintain control.

    Glad I don't own one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.