Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Simple Way, Part 27

The Simple Way
The Life & Teachings of Zhouzi
by Scott Bradley


When an elder monk found Zhouzi cleaning the privies he exclaimed, “Master, this is no work for you! Surely we can find another who might profit therefrom!”

“I punished a monk for punishing himself and I can now see no difference between he and I,” replied Zhouzi.

“But Master,” reasoned the monk, “you punished to teach, and the lesson was learned; but to punish yourself now is to repeat his mistake.”

At this Zhouzi burst into laughter and said, “I punish myself that fairness be done, but I confess I find pleasure in playing the fool. Yet the truest fool believes he is not. But with whom would you replace me, for I can think of no one.”

“Master, leave it to me, for I have someone in mind,” replied the monk.

The following day the elder monk began cleaning the privies. It was not long, however, before a novice monk had someone else in mind.

If you're interested in reading more from this series by Scott Bradley, go here. To check out more of Scott's writings, please visit TRT's shadow blog and look in the Table of Contents in the left sidebar.

1 comment:

  1. They all think cleaning the toilet is bad but each role is as important. As how can one govern with no clean place to crap?

    ...Not really relevant to the story and the points made which I'm really enjoying :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.