Friday, January 14, 2011

The Other Side of the Moon

As news continues to come in re the aftermath of the shooting in Tucson this past weekend, most people are in basic agreement about one thing: Jared Lee Loughner is a nut, a kook, deranged, crazy and/or evil. A lot of people relish the idea of "seeing him fry" for his crimes.

While I realize that, in most quarters, it isn't politically correct to show sympathy for people who perpetrate atrocities, I have spent a lot of time thinking about this young man. There is no question that his recent actions resulted in the deaths of 6 people and misery for countless more, but I still feel pain for whatever it is that hollowed him out deep inside.

What is it that turns some people into monsters? Where is the line between loving and reviling other beings? What circumstances and variables push a person over the edge?

I'm sure, at some point in his life, Jared was a loving son. He had friends, dreams and aspirations. He laughed and smiled at simple pleasures. He was kind and helpful.

Somewhere in his life, he got off track. Once he lost his way, he faded further and further from the path of virtue. He ended up in an uncontrollable rage that destroyed, not only his own life, but the lives of more people than he could ever imagine.

It is sad...all the way around.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like you're feeling empathy for the shooter. Which to me is a very psychologically healthy response.

    Nevertheless a crime was committed, lives have been lost, people have been wounded, and so he will have to suffer the consequences of his actions. Mental illness is not an excuse for murder: If you live by the sword, you die by sword. Even if he doesn't get the death penalty, he's basically destroyed his life. There is nothing that can take it back, or make amends for what he has done.

    Everyone holds the seeds in their heart of doing both good and evil. Everyone has potential to be a sinner or a saint, to be a hero or a villain. No one is born evil, but each person is born with the potential for becoming evil by committing evil acts, but they could have just as easily gone the other way, transforming their anger and frustration into more constructive life affirming channels. Yeah he snapped. It didn't have to happen, but this is the path he chose: the path of senseless destruction. Totally unproductive, not a single good thing came out of it...other than drawing attention to the fact that mentally unstable people are easily able to legally obtain firearms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree that mental illness does not excuse murder, but it should be a mitigating factor.

    Also, who is to say at this juncture that he snapped? For all we know, he could have had organically-based issue in the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree that in the case of true mental illness it should be a mitigating factor in sentencing. but in this particular case, the more information that comes out the more it looks to me like a sick individual who left a trail behind himself to look more crazy than he really is/was.

    I'm not saying that Loughner probably isn't insane - I'm pretty certain he is - but I think it's more a "I enjoy f-cking with people because I can" sort of crazy as opposed to the "I'm so nuts I don't know any better variety." I hope before it's all said and done that someone figures it out.

    Glad I'm far enough away to not be on that jury.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.