Sunday, January 16, 2011

Line by Line - Verse 20, Line 7

I alone seem listless and still, my desires having as yet given no indication of their presence.
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

But I alone am drifting, not knowing where I am.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

I alone am quiet and uninvolved
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

I'm not going to give myself away.
~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
In reading this line, I immediately think of the art of meditation. When we empty our minds of desire, thoughts and dreams, it is as if we are drifting in the great void. Ideas or sensations may come to us, but we don't reach out to possess them. New understanding may make itself known, but we don't try to conceptualize it.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

6 comments:

  1. It IS about meditation. "Sitting forgettting." Moving in reverse from the ordinary activities that most people occupy themselves with.

    This whole verse is one of the strongest supporting Taoist meditation and cultivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I the only one that really doesn't like the Ron Hogan rendition? Sure, sometimes they're funny and "hip" but they're really divergent. Might as well read the "Dude De Ching".

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Brandon...no, you're not. Cute, but sometimes superficial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. baroness, The Dude De Ching is a blog, Rambling Taoist has it listed on the right sidebar. Pretty weird, based on The Big Lebowski

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm sometimes so out of touch...of course, Jeff Bridges, getting a lot of attention in Buddhist media lately. I've never seen that movie. I liked Crazy Heart though.

    Here I was giving YOU credit for it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.