Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It Has Gotten This Bad

Not counting a full day recovering from gallbladder surgery in the hospital, last night was my first night away from home in nearly five years. It didn't go well. Not at all.

I initially laid down around 10:00 p.m. and, except for a brief half-asleep phase from 11:15 - 11:50, I didn't sleep a wink. I tried everything I could think of. I tried reading, watching mindless TV, doing calisthenics, pacing, taking a warm shower and envisioning that I was home on my own little mat on the floor. Nothing worked. I was too on edge.

For most of the night I simply lay there trembling. Being in a strange room in a strange bed freaked me out to no end. Aside from two or three panic attacks, all I managed to accomplish was to toss and turn all night long.

An hour before my alarm was supposed to go off, I decided the entire exercise was pointless! So, I scampered out of bed and got dressed. I left the motel around 6:00 am and went to pick up Della from the sleep center. It turns out that she only faired a little better than I did!!

We went to IHOP for breakfast. About mid-way through, I went to sit in the car because there were too many people (a little less than 1 dozen) in the restaurant. After some brief shopping in two almost vacant stores, we headed for home. Della drove the first 40 miles and I drove the last 35.

Once home, I went up stairs and crawled into my bed. I was asleep within 5 minutes and slept for over 3 hours. I was back in familiar territory; cordoned off from the rest of the world.

2 comments:

  1. HEY RT-

    I so understand - I don't sleep well anywhere but home either. How's life?

    Love Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the troubling night. I can't quite imagine your angst, as I'm all about travel, but I feel for you all the same. Glad you're back in the comforts of home sweet home. Hopefully you won't have to do anything like this anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.