Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Here Is a Gem

There are a slew of great blogs out there that deal with life through the use of Taoist themes. Today I will share a post from the blog, Taoish. This particular post, "Symmetry," made me smile and nod my head in affirmation!
I took my 6 year-old granddaughter to an indoor playground Wednesday.

At the playground there was a young boy about her age who was not symmetrical.

His features were not symmetrical, his physical movements were not symmetrical.

His behavior was not symmetrical, his speech pattern was not symmetrical.

His eagerness to attract a playmate shown in the ear-to-ear crooked smile he flashed at anyone who came near. Adults and older children regarded him with curiosity and pity, so he was left alone, except for his mother.

He was sitting on the ground near the jungle-gym when a little girl, maybe 2 years old, baby-staggered up to him and held out a toy. The asymmetrical boy smiled an asymmetrical smile and gently took the toy from her, examined it and handed it back. The little one smiled back at him, retrieved her toy, and staggered off.

Verse Two of the Tao Te Ching says that by defining beauty you have defined what is ugly.

4 comments:

  1. I'm honored that you shared this Trey. I enjoy your blog and hope that my stumbling attempts at being more "taoish" helps others.
    Namaste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this too on Taoish. It struck me as ironic that Chinese culture tradtionally has valued symmetry and balance. Still in facereading, the irregularities are given meaning. I was told by a Chinese facereader that my forehead was good, but my cheekbones --of which I was always proud --were too high and prominent--out of balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it's like Chuang Tzu's giant, gnarly, useless tree, or the cripple that everyone gives to and who can't be drafted to the army. Even the asymmetrical is an expression of the Tao, finding strength in uselessness.

    Cheekbones out of balance... I mean, come on. It's all Tao.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to Taoish. Excellent website!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.