Sunday, January 16, 2011

Going to a Dark Place

I am more than a bit discombobulated today in regards to what tomorrow will bring. My wife, who doctors believe suffers from sleep apnea, will undergo a sleep study. As is almost always the case, there are no services of this kind in Pacific County or even the Aberdeen area, so we must travel to Olympia (75 miles away).

While the facility does offer a guest room that I could use tomorrow night, there is more than one reason I won't avail myself of that option. For starters, someone has to come home to take care of the "kids" (2 dogs & 1 cat). As we don't have any close friends in the area, we would only stay away from home for a night in an emergency situation.

For me, of course, there is a second reason that is stronger than the first. I don't sleep well -- or at all -- in strange places. If it deviates from my routine, it freaks me out to no end. In addition, since I don't typically hit the sack until 3 - 5 am, I would go stir crazy walking around in a little box in a strange place (i.e., panic attack)!!

Initially, we tried to figure out a way to get Della to Olympia via our transit system. There are several buses available, but the time frame, unfortunately, doesn't work out and the reason it doesn't work out is because this facility makes no allowances for people arriving early. She isn't to arrive at the sleep center until 6:30 p.m. and she is forewarned not to be early.

This prohibition scuttled another strategy. We had considered having me drive her to Olympia and dropping her off at around 4:00 p.m. That way, I could get back on the road before dark. But that too is a no-go.

So, I will take her to Olympia tomorrow and then turn around to come home between 6:30 - 7:00 p.m. This is the part that has me very uneasy. As I've aged, it's gotten to the point in which I do not like driving any substantial distance at night and 75 miles is a substantial distance!

I have always had a slow reaction time and, as my physical health has declined, my typical reaction time has deteriorated as well. When driving at night, things that one might see clearer and from much farther away in the light, sometimes necessitate quick decisions in the dark.

(Note: I putter around north Pacific County at night all the time. Short jaunts in areas that I know like the back of my hand don't bother me at all.)

Rationally, I understand that no amount of fretting today will change the reality of tomorrow night, but my OCD tends to kick in automatically. As it has already kicked in, I have been reduced to a fretting bundle of nerves.

I'm really, really, really not looking forward to tomorrow night's drive. :-(

1 comment:

  1. I hope that you're able to drive there and back without a problem. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.