Friday, January 7, 2011

Clothes Make the Man?

As I'm sitting here, it just sort of dawned on me that one thing that probably differentiates me from most of you reading this has to do with apparel. While most folks I know spend a considerable amount of time each day in skirts, blouses, pants, dress shirts, suits and/or pantsuits, I probably spend no more than 2 hours per day in such attire.

Of course, one of the primary reasons for this dramatic difference is that I spend very little time outside of my house! On an average day, I would guess that I spend NO MORE than 2 hours in the outside world and, on most days, it is considerably less than that. And there are quite a few days that I never venture outside at all.

Since I'm a homebody who spends the majority of this time alone (my wife is off at work), I tend to tool around the house in a union suit. It's not that much unlike spending almost every hour of each day in my pajamas! In the winter months, I add a bit more clothing to include a pair of gym shorts, two pairs of socks, slippers and, maybe, an over shirt.

When I do venture out into the world for brief forays, I throw on a pair of my beloved hickory-striped overalls and jettison the slippers for a pair of Converse high-tops or hiking boots, if it's really, really wet. I've now told you about almost all of my complete wardrobe!

There is no great philosophical point here; it's more a sociological one. :-)

Jammies can impact a person's perspective, don't ya think?

8 comments:

  1. Dunno. But 'jammies' is a great word.

    Also, is that you in the photos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. on the wikipedia article. it was my lame attempt at humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to know you spend leass than 2 hours a day in a skirt.

    There is a big move afoot in China (particularly in Shanghai) where people have a tendency to wear their pajamas ("jammies") outside, to put a stop to it.

    http://www.chinadecoded.com/2010/03/16/2010-expo-shanghai-residents-stop-wearing-pajamas-out/

    Looks like the Red Guards are back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandon,

    Don't blame yourself. It's an Aspie thing. I'm not good at understanding inferences nor nuances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you like to bring my Pyjama Dharma blog back to life? Sounds like the title suits.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.