Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Torn Between Two Lovers

For those of you old enough to remember, back in 1976 a young singer by the name of Mary MacGregor shot to the top of the pop charts with the sappy song, Torn Between Two Lovers. For the purposes of this post, I'm going to quote two lines from the chorus.
Torn between two lovers, feeling like a fool
Loving both of you is breaking all the rules
Now, I'm not here to confess that I intimately love two women. No, the two loves I'm torn between are 1) Embracing philosophical Taoism and 2) Being a left-wing activist.

The former encourages us to accept the world as is and, if we desire change, our primary focus should be ourselves. If each of us can find the tranquility of Tao, it dramatically will change how we each view the world and how that world views us. These notions resonate with me.

On the other hand, I look out into a world beset by oppression, alienation, subjugation, injustice, fear, hate and mass manipulation. To turn away from all this ugliness to concentrate my mental and physical energies on transforming this self called me seems to be the epitome of self-centeredness and a complete lack of compassion for my fellow beings. So, part of me wants to go charging out to do battle with the forces of e-v-i-l.

I know there is a balance between these differing viewpoints, but it continues to elude me. As is my wont, I tend to move like a pendulum -- embracing one perspective completely, then tilting back the other direction in dramatic fashion.

I hope I can figure this whole thing out someday. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. I like this post, it is very honest.

    Come to China with me, I know a teacher who could help in this quandary.

    At some point, you have to let go of something. It's like observing that pendulum, not swinging with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also struggle with this issue. Perhaps the answer is in knowing when the situation calls for action, and when it is time to pull back. Both options are always on the table, and at times one is more useful than the other. As the biblical book of Ecclesiastes says "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven"; see chapter 3, verses 1-8. (Remember "Turn, Turn, Turn" by the Byrds?) By the way, I look forward to when you reach this book in your "Tao Bible" series, just to get your take on some of the verses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also struck by how this can be addressed by The Art of War Chapter 6, verse 31 and 32. From your recent entry: "Water shapes its course according to the nature of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing. Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions." View this warfare as your struggle between the two lovers. I guess the trick is to become aware of the ever-shifting conditions and how to flow through them.

    Of course, sometimes I read over what I've posted and feel that I'm full of hot air:) I try to stand back from everything and not get pulled off balance. Even in the political realm. Not an easy thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be yourself as you are, everything else will take care of itself! I used to struggle with which direction my writing should take at my site, as you well know.

    At this point I pretty much just do what my mood dictates, sometimes leaning toward more philosophical topics, more often bashing the corporate machine, but always, I hope, following where my soul leads me.

    $0.02

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.