Friday, December 17, 2010

The Simple Way, Part 9

The Simple Way
The Life & Teachings of Zhouzi
by Scott Bradley


When a local farmer asked if he might join the community, Zhouzi asked, “Why is that so?”

“Master, I would follow your Way,” answered the farmer.

“And what way is that?” asked Zhouzi.

“Master, I don’t rightly know!” replied the farmer.

Laughter filled the hall, but Zhouzi silenced the assembly with a raised hand and said, “To the farmer, I would teach the way of the farmer; but in that case, would it not be preferable for you to teach me? This way that I teach adds nothing to what already is, and it is only this that I teach. Yet, since this way so simple appears so difficult to the striving of men, you find this community here.”

When it was established that the farmer would not be shirking responsibilities toward others, he was admitted to the community.

If you're interested in reading more from this series by Scott Bradley, go here. To check out more of Scott's writings, please visit TRT's shadow blog and look in the Table of Contents in the left sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.