Monday, December 13, 2010

The Simple Way, Part 5

The Simple Way
The Life & Teachings of Zhouzi
by Scott Bradley


Zhouzi went to visit a Ch’an master of renown.

“Why have you come?”

“I wish to hear your teaching”, replied Zhouzi.

Thereupon the Master slapped him in the face.

Zhouzi broke the Master’s nose and returned home.

When one of the disciples who had accompanied him could restrain himself no longer, he asked, “Forgive me, Master, but is it correct to return injury with injury?”

“You silly fellow!” replied Zhouzi, “No injury was given or received. I simply confirmed my understanding of his teaching and added some of my own.”

“Again forgive me Master, but what was that teaching that you added?”

Zhouzi made a fist and, as the disciple fled, the hall burst out in laughter.

If you're interested in reading more from this series by Scott Bradley, go here. To check out more of Scott's writings, please visit TRT's shadow blog and look in the Table of Contents in the left sidebar.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I love this! Reminds me of the fight scene with the monk in the movie Anger Management

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.