Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Question - Is God Two-Faced?

I realize that for devout adherents to Christianity, this question borders on blasphemy. However, if we look at 1 Chronicles 17:11-14, it seems like a very reasonable question to me.
And it shall come to pass, when thy days be expired that thou must go to be with thy fathers, that I will raise up thy seed after thee, which shall be of thy sons; and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build me a house, and I will establish his throne for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son: and I will not take my mercy away from him, as I took it from him that was before thee: But I will settle him in mine house and in my kingdom for ever: and his throne shall be established for evermore.
Here's the problem. In the book that precedes 1 Chronicles (2 Kings), we learn that the Israelites were carried away to Babylon as captives and foreigners were sent to occupy their lands. Consequently, David's descendants -- the kings in question -- were dethroned and, according to the Bible, God allowed this to occur to punish the kings and the people.

So, it would seem that "forever" didn't last very long which, by the way, sort of negatives the definition of that word.

While I certainly understand that the "chosen people" eventually returned to the land, there was a period of several hundred years when the kings were NOT the sovereign rulers. So, it would seem that God didn't keep his end of the bargain.

To see what other questions I've asked about the Christian Bible, go here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rambling,
    What's worth noting is that this is said in the context of the story of David. I imagine you are aware of the Davidic Covenant?

    When you look at the recognized Covenants in the Old Testament, I believe there are actually 7 of them, beginning with the Edenic. This has to do with God's promise to his creation. But of course, humans are the fickle ones in the picture: they messed up, and He decided to forgive them, so He went and made another Covenant, this one called the Adamic.

    I wanted to bring this up, because, as you ask: "is God two-faced?' No, I think not. He is multi-faced, and most of these seeming contradictions, when looked at in a larger sense, reveal that God is forced to be "two-faced" by humans' continued habit of making mistakes. Notably, God knows we'll make the mistakes in advance,
    and to date,
    He has forgiven us,
    because that,
    according to the Old Testament,
    is the nature of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Catholics (and I'm one, right after being theo-apathetic and Jedi), God is three-faced.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.