Monday, December 6, 2010

Line by Line - Verse 15, Line 13

Who can secure the condition of rest? Let movement go on, and the condition of rest will gradually arise.
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

Who can remain still until the moment of action?
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

Who can be serene yet persist In motion gradually come alive?
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

Can you stay still until events have unfolded before you do the right thing?
~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
This represents yet another line that speaks to me in a very personal way. I am famous among my family and friends for making the right move at the wrong time!! So often, I have a tendency to get antsy; when I make up my mind, I want to move. And so, it's not infrequent that I forge ahead before it's time to forge ahead.

While I have been known to move too quickly, my bigger problem is moving too slowly. Knowing that I tend to get antsy, I force myself to wait and, because I have an awful sense of timing, I end up waiting too long. Consequently, what was the best move ten minutes ago or last week, turns out not to be the best move now. I too often end up being the ship that passes in the night.

I have to admit that I envy those folks who can wait for the right moment and then move seamlessly with the tide. I put so much effort into the right move at the wrong time, while those who move with the flow of life do so fluidly and effortlessly.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.