Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cock-A-Doodle-Doo

One of my blogging compatriots sent me a beautiful T-Shirt of the Year of the Rabbit from the Chinese zodiac. It piqued my interest to find out which animal I was born under. Turns out it is the Rooster.

Like most things zodiac, it often depends on where one looks for information. There often is a wide disparity in information and descriptions.

The first site I checked out, Chinese Zodiac, doesn't describe my personality at all!! In fact, I think it is safe to say I represent its antithesis.
Roosters are extremely sociable and prefer being the center of attention, always bragging about themselves and their accomplishments. They continually seek the unwavering attention of others which can be annoying. Roosters are as proud of their homes as they are of themselves. They’re extremely organized individuals as evidenced by the fact that their homes are always neat.
Sociable? Neat? Those descriptors are hysterical. I am a very cluttered and anti-social being.

I next checked out another website with the same name. I would give this one a grade of C+ - B-. While it describes some aspects that don't reflect my personality at all, there are many aspects that are on target.
Roosters are the most eccentric of the Chinese zodiac. They are full of dreams and romantic ideas. They are colorful and attractive, radiant and dashing, and they are quite proud of themselves. Roosters are organized, precise,and their sharp eyes seek out fine details in everything. They are perfectionists and leave no room for human error.

To Roosters, a difficult task is a challenge. They dearly love starting controversies. Roosters express themselves very well both in writing and speech. They are knowledgeable in most subjects you wish to discuss. When you challenge them you must be prepared for a long fight. Their stamina is amazing and they win their point at all costs. Even when they are wrong, they will still be right in one way or another!


Roosters can be blunt and brutal. Their direct approach to life makes them poor diplomats. They speak their minds with little regard for the feelings of others.Why should others be upset? Roosters are right, aren't they?

Roosters are good at handling money and their self-control with keeping budgets is phenomenal. They are not miserly, and in fact, they can be extremely generous and giving. They simply want their finances in complete accord, and yours, too.
Points that don't describe me are "colorful and attractive, radiant and dashing and they are quite proud of themselves." However, I AM quite eccentric, I love a good debate, I write and speak well, I am indeed a very blunt person, and I'm good with money.

Next I turned to the Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco. Their description, while not perfect, fits me better than the other two.
People born in the Year of the Rooster are deep thinkers, capable, and talented. They like to be busy and are devoted beyond their capabilities and are deeply disappointed if they fail. People born in the Rooster Year are often a bit eccentric, and often have rather difficult relationship with others. They always think they are right and usually are! They frequently are loners and though they give the outward impression of being adventurous, they are timid. Rooster people's emotions like their fortunes, swing very high to very low. They can be selfish and too outspoken, but are always interesting and can be extremely brave.
Most of this is square on, except for the brave part. I tend to be overly cautious and a bit of a weenie.

Of course, no stock description -- from the zodiac or otherwise -- can accurately describe any one of us. We each possess these unique aspects of life that we call the self. Physical, social and environmental factors go a long way toward shaping our personalities. Still, it can be fun to see how well we do or do not match up with our zodiac signs.

What Chinese Zodiac animal were you born under?

4 comments:

  1. I too am a rooster and for me I'd have to say the last description fits the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a triple fire pig, ultra pig really.

    But the Zodiac doesn't really have anything to do with animals, they were just clever ways to remember years and times.Months and hours are also signified by animals; you might be born in year of mouse, in month of pig, at hour of rabbit. A true Chinese astrologer interprets all these factors, like a western horoscope in time and place dependent, so the cute commercial attributes are fun, like newspaper horoscopes, but not completely meaningful.

    It's like the I Ching or fortune sticks: you can make a party game out of it, or it can be interpreted with a lot of significance if you know details and the old texts.

    In any case, Year of Rabbit begins February 4 (it's lunar) closing out this Year of Tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My point is that the annual animal sign is only one aspect; you will have elements of other animals in your character, and only an astrologer, with more details, will be able to interpret. The same applies to western astrology.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.