Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Tao of Dark Sages - Chapter 14, Part 3

The Tao of Dark Sages
by Scott Bradley


Mark-tzu: Before you can accuse me of hypocrisy in using an ancient book to demonstrate the folly of following ancient books let me quote again that refuge of all muddled thinkers: “True words seem paradoxical”!

The truth in this story is not the Tao, but in its realization that it is not the Tao and cannot communicate the Tao. Likewise, none of us here can communicate the truth to another. Which only leaves you individually to find that truth for yourself. And it won’t be found, I can assure you, in thinking about it or talking about it with friends, however enjoyable that may be. Your peace is found in experience alone. Were we here together simply to discuss the weather or current events, I would not feel we were in danger of losing our way; but, since we are here to discuss the way itself, I feel that danger very clearly.

When Confucius describes to Lao-tzu his devotion to the Six Classics, Lao-tzu replies: "What you are going on about are just these worn footpaths. But footpaths are created by the feet that first walked them. They are not the feet themselves!"

May I suggest that you make finding your own feet you’re your greatest priority?

For my part, I would be like the sage praised by Confucius in the Book of Chuang-tzu who "neither teaches nor discusses..." because he teaches "the doctrine which does not find expression in words." And as one who does not aspire to be a sage, "I would like to be one without knowledge, not trapped in the teachings of a sage."

And on that note, I will give you my teachings: Let go of everything: All seeking. All knowing. Let go of self and identity. In emptiness, surrender. Abide in fullness. In affirmation. In acceptance. In thankfulness.

If you're interested in reading more from this series by Scott Bradley, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.