Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Question: What's Up With Jonathan?

As we should all know, fundamentalist Christians hold that homosexuality is a sin against God. They can easily marshal biblical citations (both in the Old & New Testaments) that would strongly appear to condemn it. While I don't dispute the fact that these citations exist, as with most issues found in the Bible, there seems to be a bit of contradictory information.

In the Books of 1 & 2 Samuel, we find the story of the interesting relationship between Jonathan (King Saul's son) and David. There are several passages that speak of their great love for one another. There is one passage, in particular, that should raise some eyebrows.
I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women. (2 Samuel 1:26)
Now I realize this reference could be to platonic or brotherly love. However, the "love of women" is not of that sort and the way one love is juxtaposed against the other is peculiar. I could just as easily see a case being made that this passage refers to love, in the usual sense, between two men.

If nothing else, it does provoke the question: Were Jonathan and David lovers? Since God did not punish David for his relationship with Jonathan, one could surmise that, in the eyes of God, there was nothing wrong or sinful about their relationship.

To see what other questions I've asked about the Christian Bible, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.