Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Until Destiny Is Revealed

As I've stated on this blog several times, I am a pacifist. So, it may come as a surprise that one of my favorite movies is The Last Samurai. The film has a good amount of violence in it. I tend not to watch movies that contain a lot of gratuitous carnage -- blood and guts just for the sake of blood and guts. However, if the violence is an integral part of the storyline, I am more accepting of that, though it still makes me a bit squeamish.

From the standpoint of purists, I realize this movie strays from the history of the situation. The samurai were not always the noble warriors as portrayed in the film. As with most projects of this nature, there was a certain amount of romanticization and liberties taken with the facts. I can both accept and live with that.

In fact, in many ways, it's immaterial if this film is historically accurate. A movie -- just like a book, song, poem or other works of art -- seeks to tell a story. As long as an individual keeps this in mind, one shouldn't confuse fiction for fact. And this particular story speaks to me in powerful ways!

In truth, I don't think I can explain to you in a blog post how this film stirs my heart each and every time I view it. I watched it last night on HBO (even though I own a copy of the DVD) and I sat riveted in my chair -- rarely moving a muscle -- for the entire 160 minutes. About the ONLY body part that moved at all were my eyes; tears streak down my face for the last 30 minutes or so and intermittently before that.

When the film is over, it puts me in a deep, contemplative mood. I really thought I was going to be able to write about my thoughts this afternoon, but I will stop here because they seem locked away inside me.
The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.
~ line spoken by Katsumoto, Samurai ~

5 comments:

  1. How timely, I'm actually watching Seven Samurai (Kurosawa) right now. And reading Sun Tzu.

    Though I am a martial arts/wuxia afficionado, I've never seen this one. Tell us more to get me over my Tom Cruise prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baroness,
    I included links so you could read all about it. I'm not a big Cruise fan either, but I thought he acquitted himself well in this film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm exactly like you. I do not watch bloody, violent films. But I will make myself watch that one the next time is on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This movie has almost the exact same plot as Dances With Wolves. I grew up watching Dances With Wolves so when I saw Last Samurai (my friend insisted that it was the greatest, most moving story I would ever see) I was disappointed that they would "borrow" so much of the storyline from DWW.
    I realize that movies "borrow" things from other media all the time, but one of the main draws to this movie seems to be the plot- which isn't exactly the creative genius most people think it is.
    Lovely movie, but I'm slightly prejudice against it on the grounds that I am in love with Dances with Wolves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love DWW too! And yes, the plots are similar. I watch both of them frequently.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.