Monday, October 11, 2010

That Was Sort Of Easy

I sat down in the recliner in preparation for my EKG this morning. The lab tech started attaching the electrodes to my arms, legs and chest. Once everything was connected, she asked me to lie back, close my eyes and allow my body to go limp. Just as I started to get comfortable and do a little meditating, she said, "All done."

"What do you mean by that?" I asked. "I mean, you're all done," she replied. "The test has been completed." All told, it took less than one minute!

I'm often amazed at the advancements we're making in medicine. The last time I had an EKG -- about one dozen years ago -- the test took about 20 minutes. The adherent utilized to keep the electrodes on was sticky and difficult to wash off the skin. The adherent today was part of the disposable electrodes and left no residue on my skin whatsoever.

I learned afterwards that data began transmitting the moment each electrode was attached. Once all of them were in place, she only needed about 30 more seconds to get the final readings!

So, it sounds like my "test day" was very uneventful. Well, not really. When I first entered the hospital waiting area it was filled with people. So many, in fact, that to avoid a severe panic attack, I hightailed it back to my car and waited about 20 minutes before entering again. Fortunately, the crowd had dissipated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.