Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Tao of Dark Sages - Chapter 5, Part 4

The Tao of Dark Sages
by Scott Bradley


Sue-tzu, my spouse is not really sympathetic with my spiritual journey and I feel that we are drifting apart. What can I do to bring us closer together?

It’s Nelly, right?

Yes.

I am sorry Nellie, but I don’t do personal problems. There are several reasons why this is so, but the one most important for you is this: It is your discovery and working through of these problems that is the foundation of your growth. You can find the solution to this problem, Nellie. And when you do, you will not only have solved the problem, you will be much more who you want to be.

I will admit to not really having much knowledge of gurus. I have never sat before one and have only read a few of their books. I don’t feel I’ve missed out. There are, I suspect, many styles of guru-ness — queen mother, big daddy, wise grandfather, etc. But there is one that I call the Nanny-ru that I most definitely wish to avoid meeting and above all, becoming.

The Nanny-ru tells you what to feel, what to think, and how to behave. He might be the sweetest, most holy old sage you could ever meet, but he’s still controlling. He has an answer for your every problem. He’ll help you understand the smallest of psychological hindrances you encounter on your journey. Benevolence, we are told again and again, can do more harm than hatred.

"Loving the people is the beginning of harming the people," Chuang-tzu tells us. Those who espouse a commitment to universal love, are most susceptible to this disease of benevolence, and I, for my part, am very careful not to be ensnared by their helpful guidance.

If you're interested in reading more from this series by Scott Bradley, go here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not leaving comments on this series as as soon as I noticed you had a hold of another book from Scott I wrote to him and got a copy - So I've read this all before. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.