Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Never Comes

When one of my nieces was a teenager, she vowed she would never ever have children. Now, nearly one decade later, she's married with two children. I have a friend who is an alcoholic. Each time he falls off the wagon, he swears he will never touch another drink as long as he lives. In no time at all, he's drunker than a skunk again.

We each have a tendency to declare we will never say this or we will never do that and then, without realizing it, never comes!

My blogging compatriot Bruce Gerencser has had three wildly successful blogs: Bruce Droppings, Restless Wanderings and Northwest Ohio Skeptics. Bruce wrestles with Multiple Sclerosis and some psychological issues. He experiences highs and lows. During his lowest lows, he inexplicably deletes his blog and also his social networking accounts.

Recently, on his latest incarnation, NW Ohio Skeptics, he announced that he had learned his lesson and would not be deleting it at some later point. Unfortunately, he must have hit one of those terrible lows because his wonderful blog has yet again disappeared from the web as have his FaceBook and Twitter accounts.

For purely selfish reasons, this latest deletion is a bit devastating. His blog was the first one I checked each morning and the last one I checked at night before heading off to bed. As a person who does not like to have my patterns interrupted, this action has thrown my schedule off. So, I'm feeling a bit discombobulated!

I am hopeful that this bout of depression (I hope it's not something far worse!) will pass for Bruce and a new blog incarnation will appear. However, I did send him an email in which I suggested a change in strategy for the next time around. The next time he creates a blog, he needs immediately to transfer ownership to someone else. He can retain all privileges EXCEPT for having the power to delete the blog. That way, when he hits one of his lows, he can simply take a needed hiatus and the blog itself will remain intact.

Bruce, if you drop by and read this, I'm pulling for you. I sent you my home telephone number and, if you need someone to talk to, I'm here for ya. And, if you accept my proposal and you can't find a closer friend or relative to take on the role of blog owner, I'll do it. Even if you don't realize it right now, your words provide comfort to so many others going through the deconversion process.

4 comments:

  1. i was one of those who said "i'll never marry or have kids." :) i'm so glad i proved myself wrong! now i know better than to say "never" or make any permanent changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to know since, I believe, you have another bun in the oven. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have also been following bruce from one blog to the next for a while, but because of the fact that i read it (and yours, as well) on an RSS aggregator, i hadn't actually noticed that NW Ohio Skeptics has vanished until you mentioned it.

    i hope he's doing okay. i have an inkling of what he might be going through...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that plan. Bruce, I hope you read this and agree!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.