Sunday, October 10, 2010

Getting Down to It

Tomorrow I start the lead-up to my shoulder surgery. I have to go in to get my pre-op blood work and an electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG). Next week I will meet with the surgeon and then, on my birthday (Oct. 25), I go under the knife.

Needless to say, I'm starting to experience a bit of anxiety. Part of it is natural. While this surgery is among the safer ones, there always is a risk involved. However, at this point the surgery itself is not what is feeding my anxiety. No, I'm far more anxious about the recuperation period.

From what I've heard and read, the aftereffects of shoulder surgery can be quite painful. Of course, I've been in a lot of pain for several months, but it's the difference between acute and chronic pain. I don't deal well at all with the former, while I seem to do better than most with the latter.

I'm also not looking forward to not being able to do much for myself. I am extremely right-handed and the use of my right arm will be off-limits for a bit of time. On a positive note, I have read that many people who have undergone this type of procedure (and others like it) are allowed to resume typing within 2 weeks or so. Maybe I can resume blogging sooner than I thought!

I'll know more specifics on what I should expect next week. For now, I'll fret...not a lot, but some.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.