Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Book, My Blog

I've often been asked if I plan to turn these various ramblings into a book. It's not an unreasonable question. We live in a day and age when it seems like almost everybody is getting published. With the surge in outfits that allow a person to self-publish, the wall between publisher and author has been torn down.

Well, you're looking at my book!! Isn't that what a blog truly is?

The main difference is that the words aren't written on paper. Each post represents a different page and, since I write a lot of series, you can consider those the chapters or, I suppose, you could consider each series as a book unto itself. (If you're interested in reading these chapters or books, simply click on one of the links in the left sidebar under "Ongoing Series" or "Completed Series.")

I certainly don't disparage any person who desires to see their words printed on paper housed within a binding. (As many of you know, one of my readers, with my permission, took my series on the Tao Te Ching and had it self-published. A copy of this book is housed now at the local library. I'd be lying if I said it isn't kind of cool to see my name in the card catalog!)

At one time in my life, I wanted to be a published author. I dreamed of having a book on a best sellers' list. I'm no longer in that place. For me, this blog is enough.

I can write at my own pace.

I can write about what I want to write about.

I can switch topics at will and sort of write in a stream of consciousness sort of way.

I don't need to worry about somebody else's standards, protocols and rules.

The only expectations I need to be concerned about are my own.

To my way of thinking, a blog is a liberated book.

I write. You read.

You respond. I read.

No money changes hands.

Ideas come and go.

They multiply and divide.

The words float on air and I often float with them.

It is beautiful symmetry in motion!

2 comments:

  1. indeed :) however, if you wanted to expand your audience, turning some of this into a book wouldn't be a bad thing. there are plenty of people who don't have the time and/or inclination to check a blog everyday, but they are willing to cart along a book and read it on their lunch break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many authors are driven by ego. The world just 'needs' to know their opinions. Then they sit and fret over their book sales. I have been asked the same thing. The world is full of enough books already about ground that has been covered numerous times. One more by me is not necessary. As you pointed out, a blog gives much more freedom. I do not need to satisfy my publisher.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.