Thursday, September 9, 2010

Minty Fresh

I must admit that, since I purchased a refurbished computer, I've been very pleased with the Linux Mint operating system! (Thanks to Ta Wan for pointing me in this direction.) It is light years ahead of any of the various Windows systems that I've ever used. It doesn't freeze up and it runs like a charm.

I will admit that I initially was a bit worried about not being able to use any Microsoft-based software without an emulator like WINE (that I could not get to work anyway). It has turned out not to be much of any problem. Utilizing both the Gnome and KDE desktop packages, I have been able to add enough open source software to handle almost any task I need. They integrate well together and the various programs work on either desktop.

Switching from Windows to Linux does involve a learning curve -- no question about it -- but it's not as daunting as it might first appear. While some Linux systems necessitate the need for running a lot of stuff from a command-line, Mint works pretty darn good right out of the box!

If any of you with a pc are struggling with your Windows system, I highly recommend that you give Mint a try. You can even run it with or within Windows, if you'd like to test drive it first.

4 comments:

  1. I used Linux (Debian flavor) for several years and personally the philosophy of open source works much better for me. At the time my son lived close by and had time so could help me out when I got stuck. Now I have a Mac which I like a lot and I can still do command line programming for my website as Linux/Unix is the foundation of the operating system. And how could you go wrong with a name like minty! Anyway, I'm a new reader on your blog and I am really enjoying it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is light-years ahead of Windoze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if you have seen but Mint have just release a new system based on Debian (not Ubuntu).

    This provides a "rolling release" where you never have to install again. The Ubuntu based system is normally replaced every 6 months.

    The Debian project is very new so requires a little polish but it is Mint, it looks and feels great, it 'just works' and, being based on Debian now, it is lighter and faster.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.