Sunday, September 12, 2010

Line by Line - Verse 4, Lines 8-9

I do not know whose son it is. It might appear to have been before God.
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

I do not know from whence it comes. It is the forefather of the gods.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

I do not know whose offspring it is Its image is the predecessor of the Emperor
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

Damned if I know where it came from. It's just always been around.
~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
Notice the differences in whom each translator makes reference to. Legge, a Christian, references THE god. Feng & English reference gods in the generic. Lin references the mythic Yellow Emperor.

Of course, I like Ron Hogan's rendition best. It doesn't reference anything specific at all! Tao just is.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

1 comment:

  1. I always liked the translations of Tolbert McCarroll and Wong Kiew Kit. This is what the former says:

    I do not know whose child it is.
    It existed before the common ancestor.

    I think the translation that we hold to reflects our beliefs on Taoism, and influences our beliefs concerning Taoism as well. Of course, I think that Hogan probably captures the Taoist spirit best. I don't think I've read his tranlsation. I'll have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.