Sunday, September 19, 2010

Kind of a Dud

At the outset of the summer, weather forecasters predicted a more active than normal hurricane season and it appears they were right on the money. We've already had 11 named storms so far this year and there's still another 6 weeks during the typical peak period. Yet, despite the number of storms, few have had serious impacts on US soil, though Mexico and Bermuda have sustained damage.

For a weather hound like me, this hurricane season has been kind of a dud. I relish watching live reports from the beaches as a hurricane rolls on shore! I enjoy watching Mother Nature releasing her fury because it reminds me that the cosmos, not human beings, control life more than anything else.

On October 13, Storm Chasers, a Discovery Channel series, begins its new season. The program follows several teams who try to chase down and film tornadoes. For me, it's one of the very few shows I try to ensure I watch each week.

It's not lost on me that this fascination with extreme weather comes at a cost. Each time a tornado, hurricane, tsunami, earthquake, flood or blizzard hits an area of the world, people's and other creature's lives are put at risk and severe property damage tends to occur. My viewing enjoyment generally means that someone somewhere is suffering the effects of what I'm watching.

This realization often pulls me in two different directions simultaneously. For example, on the one hand, I keep rooting for one of these hurricanes to slam into the US coast so I can watch the round-the-clock coverage. On the other hand, however, I am happy that the hurricanes keep missing the US mainland because, if one hits, it is certain to wreak havoc.

Since extreme weather is part of life of this planet, I know that eventually something will strike somewhere and I'll be glued to the TV and internet to watch the reports. I'll be happy to have a virtual front row seat, while concurrently feeling compassion for the unwitting stars of my favorite TV show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.