Sunday, September 12, 2010

Down the Drain

Last night, as I turned on the water for a shower, I noticed a spider crawling along the edge of the tub. When the showerhead engaged and the water began to spray from above, the spider lost its footing and fell to the floor of the tub. As the water swirled around it, it balled up and, in a matter of seconds, it floated down the drain.

Here's my question: Did the spider drown? I have no way of knowing the answer. While it is very conceivable that it indeed did die, it's also just as conceivable that it floated down the drain to a new life somewhere else. Not knowing the nature of spiders, I'm not sure which way I lean.

I've noticed that, when it rains heavily, moths seem to disappear. On a sunny summer day in South Bend, there are lots of moths flitting around, but as soon as a downpour appears, you can't see a one of them. So, where do they go?

Well, I do know that some of them hightail it into my house! They seem to like to hang out in the bathroom. It's not uncommon to start a shower and to see a moth bolt out of the tub. However, if the shower spray catches them off guard, the water sends them to the bottom of the tub and, often, they too float down the drain.

Therefore, I have surmised that they don't handle a lot of falling water very well. It inhibits their ability to fly. This returns me to my question: Where do they go when it rains? They can't all find shelter inside and, when it rains heavily here, almost everything gets drenched quickly. So, where do they go?

These sorts of questions are the very same ones we humans ask about death. When we die, where do we go?

Could it be to the same place that spiders and moths end up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.