Friday, September 10, 2010

The Best Decision I Ever Made

Often, as we get to a certain age in life, we begin the process of examining where we are and how we got to this point. We look at the various decisions we made along our journey and wonder how things might have been different had we made different decisions at key junctures. In thinking back over my life thus far, the best decision I ever made was not to become a parent.

When I was a young man entering adulthood, I assumed that I would become a parent somewhere along the way. This assumption was based solely on societal expectations. Growing up in the sixties -- which isn't far removed from the fifties -- the basic assumption by the established order was that heterosexual males and females would marry and produce offspring replete with a nice job and a home in the suburbs with a white picket fence. Though I certainly didn't conform to many established expectations, I sort of thought that eventually I would follow the company line.

It wasn't until my early 20s that I learned that I could not produce offspring myself (due to Klinefelter's Syndrome). When my doctor told me the problem was not a low sperm count but NO sperm count, I was devastated. This news meant I could never create my own version of The Walton's! However, my congenital condition did not preclude fostering parent or adoption.

Going the foster parenting or adoption route meant a conscious decision to move in that direction. It also meant that, unlike many of my contemporaries, I didn't have to worry about starting an accidental family. While I don't believe in the concept of fate, it turns out the inability to produce progeny on my own was a blessing because, as I grew older, I came to the realization that my personality was not conducive to good parenting in the least. This realization is why I never pursued the option of becoming a foster or adoptive parent.

While some people with autism have turned out to be great parents, I am more than confident that I would not be one of them!! For starters, I am very moody. I brood a lot. I get lost inside my head and can become emotionally inaccessible. I sequester myself in my self-imposed "cave" (the 2nd floor of our home) and my wife might not see much of me for days.

I have a very wide personal space. I don't like people to move inside its imaginary boundaries very often. I literally come unglued if people walk behind me and I freak out if someone touches or brushes me when I'm not expecting it.

I am obsessive. Anyone who has read this blog for any length of time KNOWS this. I often write in torrents on a particular topic. I can get stuck on an issue or concept for weeks at a time. Every waking minute is spent contemplating or writing about it. This penchant often drives Della a bit crazy, but, after a quarter century, she's learned to live with it!

I'm too off-the-wall. I neither dress, speak nor act like a man my age is "supposed to." As I've noted before, I wear the same outfit everyday: hickory-striped overalls, a long-sleeve tee shirt, Converse high-tops and, underneath it all, a union suit. I've worn this same basic get-up for the last 20 years or so.

Anyone in this small community can tell you I talk about the weirdest things. Somebody will make a passing comment and I'll launch into a treatise about philosophy, economic systems or psychoanalysis. People are slowly learning NOT to ask me how I'm doing that day because, without fail, I tend to respond in far greater detail than most of them care to hear.

I don't do crowds. My social experiences are very limited to just a few short minutes per day and I pick and choose them with great care.

All these traits taken together (with several more not mentioned here) would have led me to be, at best, a most inconsistent parent. I would have created one or more neurotic children who would have grown up to be very dysfunctional adults.

Aren't there enough of these as it is?

8 comments:

  1. I, too, have decided not to have children.

    Growing up and living in a small town, even in the 90s and 00s, there were very very few adults who didn't have kids. Especially if they were married. For a long time, I felt like I _had_ to be a Mom one day.

    It was always something that filled me with dread, though. I'm not a maternal person and eventually I came to realize that there's nothing wrong with being a woman who doesn't feel a motherly urge.

    Actually, I think it would be very unethical of me to have a child knowing that I have no real interest in any of the physical or emotional work associated with raising a healthy person to adulthood.

    I don't know if you take "requests" ( :) ) on this blog, but if you're open to it I'd love to one day read more about your relationship with Della. It sounds like there is a great story there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI RT

    Great honest post and I love your "daily get up" the most. Way cool outfit.

    Love to you
    Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Trey. Honest. Open.

    I love your daily outfit. I would be quite comfortable with a Mr Monk wardrobe. Everything the same color, same design.I have always hated the fashion game we play in America.

    I don't have OCD but I have been told I have a Obsessive Compulsive personality (OCP). I laugh when I read of your habits. Laugh because I have seen those habits before. :) Not easy to live with sometimes. Too bad there is no heaven. I would nominate our wives for a special place.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear R.T.,

    I'm unused to this personal tone of yours, but it is nice to get to know you better. I have only a couple of things to say.

    First, if you really wear a union suit, you may be my favorite person. You're already my hero for even knowing what it is.

    Secondly, you know how I feel about interrelation, universality, and all that, so you must realize that teaching all these people what you have to relate here is precisely the same as raising children, except that children are contained in little flesh bags and so tend to fool people into thinking they are separate entities. This must have occurred to you before...

    I love stopping in here, man. Best site on Taoist philosophy ever, hands-down.

    Yours Truly,


    -BothEyes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia,
    If you type the word, Della, into the search box at the top of the blog, you're certain to find several posts in which I have discussed my relationship with her before. Of course, as my partner for over 25 years, I'm certain she will appear many times more!

    As to your point about it being unethical to bow to societal pressure re rearing children a person doesn't want to rear, I agree with you 110%. So does Della! She gets asked about us not having children far more than I do. Many people seem amazed that a woman wouldn't have the desire to have children.

    Gail,
    It makes wardrobe planning very easy! My big fashion decision of each day is what color pair of socks and which t-shirt.

    Bruce,
    You're right on the money! If there is a heaven, Polly & Della will have seats the near the big guy. :-)

    Both Eyes Shut,
    Yes, I really wear a union suit. Right now, I'm wearing my navy blue one. My two red ones are in the dryer. This fall, if they have another sale on them at Dennis Company, I'd like to get a green and a grey one.

    The difference between sharing on the internet and sharing with children in the home is the anonymity involved. You and others can come here on your own time and, unless you leave a comment, I don't know the difference.

    Those "little flesh bags" need personal attention and, from what I hear, can get underfoot. Also, I don't have to feed and clothe you! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. your eccentricities wouldn't have been too much of a deterrent... children are curious by nature and if you like explaining things they are all ears. however, they do require a TON of patience and a TON of affection. they definitely don't let you live your life in your own room! in fact they seem to get into anything and everything and give you no time to recharge or be alone. most of all, if you have no desire to procreate, you probably wouldn't have made a very good parent. :) the best qualification for parenting is a desire to do so and put your whole heart into the effort!

    believe it or not i often feel guilty for choosing to procreate! it's the best decision i've ever made, but i still feel a little guilty that i'm adding to the overpopulation problem. there are kids out there who are in need of loving homes. however those kids require a lot more patience and understanding than biological children do, and it's best to know your limits and not cause them any more heartache than they already have to endure. could i make a good foster/adoptive parent? i don't know. right now my son plus baby-to-be is enough for me to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trey,

    Thanks for the personal insight. Are you of English ancestry? You sound like a typical English eccentric ... just kidding ;-)

    As for your daily outfit, it seems impractical. What if you have to go pee, or something else, in a hurry?! I prefer the basic pants/shirt/boxers combo, It allows flexibility, and a quick exit if needed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iktomi,
    The desire is lacking. :-)

    Gerard,
    Yes, I have English, Scottish and Irish ancestry.

    As to #1 & #2, it's no problem at all. A union suit comes with "bomb bay doors" and I can get out of the overalls quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.