Thursday, August 12, 2010

Relinquishing Control

For the first twenty years or so of my relationship with Della, whenever we went somewhere in our personal vehicle, I drove. When we went on long trips, I probably drove 90% of the time. It was not because my wife is a bad driver -- she's a very attentive driver -- it was a control thing. If I was going to be in a metal box hurtling down the highway, I damn well was going to be behind the wheel!!

Of course, Della certainly didn't mind this protocol at all. While I generally like to drive, she does it only because it's a necessity. Any reason to get out of having to drive was fine by her.

However, over the past 6 years, something has changed. As my health issues have increased (we're talking pain and vertigo here), it's not always wise for me to be behind the wheel. There are days in which having me as a driver is not in the public's best interests!! And so, initially not very willingly, I have had to relinquish a degree of control in my life.

These days we split driving duties fairly evenly. It's gotten to the point in which I actually don't mind being the passenger. We live in a very beautiful part of the country and I've discovered that I can take in the scenery far more than before because, when I'm not driving, I don't have to pay attention to the traffic. I've recently discovered some neat area landmarks that I never noticed before and I look forward to the opportunity to eyeball them as we whizz passed.

Besides, I was never really in control anyway. Being behind the wheel might make a person feel as if they are in control of the current situation, but they aren't. There are simply too many unforeseen variables to account for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.