Thursday, August 26, 2010

Question: Who Is the Guilty Party?

As a non-Christian, I'm often told that, if ONLY I would read the Bible, I would come to understand the magnificent glory of God, the Father. Of course, this presumes that I have never read the bible (which is incorrect). However, I will agree that it has been many, many years since I last read it.

As I work my way through it for the Tao Bible series, I find myself rediscovering particular sections that cause me to say, "What? That's ridiculous!" So, from time to time, I will highlight these points so that, maybe, Christian readers of this blog might offer an explanation as to why THEY believe the section makes a lick of sense.
10 And there was a famine in the land: and Abram went down into Egypt to sojourn there; for the famine was grievous in the land.

11 And it came to pass, when he was come near to enter into Egypt, that he said unto Sarai his wife, Behold now, I know that thou art a fair woman to look upon:

12 Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see thee, that they shall say, This is his wife: and they will kill me, but they will save thee alive.

13 Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee.

14 And it came to pass, that, when Abram was come into Egypt, the Egyptians beheld the woman that she was very fair.

15 The princes also of Pharaoh saw her, and commended her before Pharaoh: and the woman was taken into Pharaoh's house.

16 And he entreated Abram well for her sake: and he had sheep, and oxen, and he asses, and menservants, and maidservants, and she asses, and camels.

17 And the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai Abram's wife.

18 And Pharaoh called Abram and said, What is this that thou hast done unto me? why didst thou not tell me that she was thy wife?

19 Why saidst thou, She is my sister? so I might have taken her to me to wife: now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.
~ from Genesis, Chapter 12 ~
In the quoted section, we have Abram and his wife providing false testimony (lying) as an attempt to save Abram's hide. A prince of Pharaoh accepts the information told to him as true and takes Abram's "sister" into his house as a wife. Yet, God punishes the innocent party, the prince, and NOT the two people guilty of providing willful misinformation.

Isn't bearing false witness supposed to be contrary to one of the ten commandments?

Would one of you like to explain the supposed moral lesson learned here?

To see what other questions I've asked about the Christian Bible, go here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really not sure why you're having so much difficulty with these passages. As a Christian, here are my translations into modern-speak.


    10. Abram was hungry so he and his wife went to the Egyptian mall for some food.

    11. As they got near the mall, he said to his wife. "Damn... woman... you look GOOD!"

    12. He was worried that the guys at the mall would kill him to get their hands on such a good looking wife.

    13. So he said, "Just pretend you're my sister, m'kay"

    14. So they went in and the Egyptians said, "That's a fine looking woman, you got there..."

    15. Then some rich kids saw her and said, "ohh... you gotta go see my dad"

    16. So the rich guy tried to bribe Abram by offering him animals including asses :-)

    17. But God said, "Hey! Quit looking at my man's girl!" and went medieval on his ... donkey.

    18. And the rich guy said "hey WTF man! Whatcha doin to my house! You said she was your sister!"

    19. and followed up with .... "get the fk outta here man!"


    There's no real moral lesson and I think this probably just happens all the time in real life.

    I suspect that if there is a moral it's both;
    1. Tell the truth and stop being so gutless.
    2. Just because you're rich, it doesn't mean you can jump any pretty girls you see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for clearing that up, I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually the Bible says the OT was for our example. After all, Abraham was the father of the Christian faith.

    SO there must be a lesson here somewhere Trey. :)

    It seems a lot of the Patriarch's of the OT had problems with women.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.