Thursday, August 5, 2010

Immortality

I realize that one of the great attractions of religion concerns the idea of living forever with the same consciousness. So many people want to believe that they again will get to be with loved ones who have passed on before. While I certainly acknowledge that these kinds of hopes and dreams may indeed come true once we leave this realm, I have my doubts.

For me, I believe that immortality is possible only as a form of remembrance in the lives of the living. It is by carrying the light and love of those who we held dear that they continue to live on.

My mother and maternal grandmother are two people I miss greatly. I often get rather teary-eyed when I skip down memory lane to remember those times when both were still alive. In my mind's eye, their time as sentient beings has come and gone. I don't anticipate ever crossing their paths again. The only place where we can still intersect is in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. i think this is something no one will ever know, considering we don't even know what consciousness itself is! my view is that matter is immortal but ever-changing, so it follows that the spiritual world would do the same. when we long for immortality, do we long for stagnancy, or simply for existence?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.