Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Horse Race

I've mentioned before that I like numbers. For whatever reason, my autistic brain is enthralled by them. While other people wax eloquently about beautiful poems or fantastic artwork, numbers sing to me.

When I used to be the keeper of several organizational databases, my two favorite data entry jobs were entering phones numbers or zip codes! (Yes, I realize how absolutely bonkers that sounds.) Because I'm a one-fingered typist, I can't read info as I type. I always have to keep my eyes on the keyboard, lest I hit the wrong keys.

So, when adding phone numbers or zip codes, I would have to read the numbers off the page and then type them. I quickly noticed that I rarely got the numbers wrong because I would remember what I just read by utilizing a cadence. In this way, the numbers read like poetry to me. Sometimes the cadence speaks to me so that I will repeat the same set of numbers over and again -- much to the annoyance of my wife!

Since numbers fascinate me to no end, I really like to watch them in the form of the flag counters in the left sidebar of this blog. I check them several times per day to watch the various countries and states as they jockey for position. At times, I root for a specific location to overtake another.

Needless to say, I realize that most visitors don't look at one of the counters and then think to themselves, "Gee my state is only 4 visits behind North Carolina. I've got to work to get ahead of them!" If any of you take a gander at one or both counters, it's nothing more than a casual passing interest.

I have noticed over the course of the past year that the US flag counter has a few glitches in it. There are a handful of states in which not every visit is counted. For example, since Kentucky hit the 100 visitor mark 3 days ago, there have been 3 more visits from someone in that state -- I know this from the statistical readout from SiteMeter -- but none of those visits have registered on the flag counter. I've also noticed this same glitch in reference to Wisconsin, Louisiana and Alabama.

I'm not losing any sleep over this discrepancy, mind you, but I do wonder about it from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.